Richmond Home

Apply to be a Cultural Advisor for 2019-2020

Special Opening for Spring 2020

There is one open position for a male upperclassman in Moore Hall for spring, 2020. If you would like to join the CA team, please complete the application and get one faculty or staff recommendation form submitted by Nov. 20.

Applications to be a CA for the 2020-2021 academic year will become available in December 2019. You can review the information below to get a general idea of the process.

How do I learn more about being a CA?

Come to an Information Session on January 31 at 6:00 pm in the Jepson Hall Faculty Lounge (first floor, by the staircase), and hear from current CAs about their role. The complete position description explains what is expected of the CAs and how they are trained and supervised. You are also welcome to contact Common Ground with your questions.

What do I need to do to apply? 

  • Complete an application form by February 12. 
  • Have a faculty or staff member complete the recommendation form by February 12.
  • Schedule a personal interview in Common Ground. Stop by soon to THC 325 to select a half-hour time slot between February 12 and February 20. 
  • Come to the mandatory group interview on Saturday, February 16 from 3:00 - 5:00 pm in THC 321.

Frequently Asked Questions


Can a CA be an RA?

No, a CA and an RA are separate positions and have separate responsibilities.

Can you go abroad and still be a CA?

Yes, we will consider students who will be abroad for a semester. Please let Common Ground know if you are planning to go abroad when you apply.

Can a CA be an Orientation staff member?

The CA training process does not allow for you to be an OA as their trainings overlap.  You are welcome to apply for both but will need to decide when you receive your offers. 

Are CAs paid?

Not really, although we have plans to reimburse you for some of your training time in August. But it is a vibrant leadership development program, that includes a generous programming allowance each semester for all your hall and SpiderNights activities, and training that is helpful both in your CA role as well as your life as a student and after. And we do feed you well during our August, January, and bi-monthly trainings.

Can I choose the residence hall I work in?

You have some input, and can let us know the population you want to work with. When you are offered the position, you will be told the hall in which you have been placed, and you can decide at that time whether to accept the position.

Do CAs have singles or doubles?

It depends on the building. Most often you will be in a single room unless you request a roommate, or you have been accepted into an SSIR. You may live with the roommate of your choice and select your suitemates as well.

Can CAs live in the apartments?

CAs may go through the lottery and if they receive housing in the apartments and have the approval of Common Ground they may perform their role there. They would be expected to participate in SpiderNights planning and hosting with the rest of the CAs, but for their programming requirement they would host one meal a month called a Meet and Eat for a small but diverse group of students in their apartment. More information about this can be found in the CA position description.